On Tuesday I shared about what the family is up to this summer— mostly the kids.
But, behind the scenes, Jake and I got all kinds of business going on.
While finished with classes, Jake will be “independently studying” all summer and into next semester. Basically this means he’ll be reading at least 8 hours a day, getting ready for the exams that doctoral students take after they are finished with their coursework and ready to start their dissertation research. He’ll also be working on his dissertation proposal and then IRB approval, in hopes that he’ll be ready to start in the field researching come January 2016. I’m really proud of him. He’s pushing the pace and everyone is quite amazed that he’s been able to be a TA (50%), take 9-12 hours of doctoral classes each semester, and still be involved in our day-to-day family life.
As for me, other than running this summer ship, I have some fun projects I hope to work on:
- Learn the countries of the world with Asante. We tried it last summer, and got a good chunk of them. We need to revisit those and also learn the ones we haven’t done yet.
- Finish up Ada’s 0-1 year scrapbook, which is a physical scrapbook. After this, I’ll be caught up with all the kids’ scrapbooks. This is a big deal for me. Once upon a time, I considered this may not actually be a doable goal. 🙂
- Create our family’s 10 Year scrapbook, which will be digital. We’re thinking a coffee table type scrapbook with highlights from our first decade as a family. I have it generally mapped out, but the hard part will be digging and finding those digital photos from the first 5 years.
- Catch up on Journey through Scripture reading plan. I was doing so well, and then May came, and well, it all fell apart. It’s never too late to catch up. If I can read a 700 page Harry Potter book in a weekend, I can catch up on some Bible reading, yes?
- Running. Last year I was well into my half marathon training by now. I loved it. It was so good for me. I haven’t run since that half marathon, and I’ve been feeling the effects of it. I’d love to start running a few mornings a week, as would Jake. We have a plan ready, but we’ve been pushing back the start date. Next week.
- Summer Reading Programs. Here in Madison they do a couple summer reading programs for adults too, and I’m ALL INTO THIS. Last year I won a gift certificate to a chocolate store and Jake won an amazon gift card! I totally geek out on this.
- Finish up the Harry Potter series. I have 2 more books to go!
- Simplifying Around the House. I’ve been prayerfully simplifying our house. We have so much stuff. I keep on simplifying and it all still seems like too much. I’ve gone through my wardrobe quite a bit. When I realized I could wear a different outfit everyday for a month, I just felt like it was time to trim back. I’ll keep on it this summer, hitting other parts of the house.
What are you up to this summer? Any summer goals or projects you’re excited about?